Too much excitement just might kill me!
I had another scan this morning and my lining has apparently shrunk to a more acceptable 13.2mm (from 15mm).
I don’t know how this happened, except that the measurements seem to be very subjective – more of an art than a science! And the girl who did my scan on Thursday was a trainee, so yeah.
Anyway, that all means that we’ve got the tick of approval to go ahead with the transfer, so long as my bloods don’t come back crazy (they didn’t).
While I was there, I spoke to the main embryologist (he’d been too busy to see me on Thursday) and discovered they now offer to thaw day 3 embryos and culture them to blastocyst (day 5) before transfer. Any remaining blasts can be refrozen.
And we have to decide today!
We have 3 day 3 embryos. Statistically, we can expect 1 of those to make it to blastocyst, although it is of course possible that more than that might survive, or none. If we get one, that means this is our only transfer without another full IVF cycle, which neither Hubs nor I is keen on.
But really, an embryo that makes it to day 5 is going to be stronger (right?), and there is no way of knowing if day 3 embryos that don’t survive culture can survive if transferred or not. Plus, cycles are expensive and a hassle, especially with a toddler in tow.
So I think we’re going to culture them and see what happens. I feel like it will give us the best shot at selecting the embryo that is most likely to be viable, and it may save us money and heartache transferring embryos that really never had a chance.
So transfer will be Monday morning.
And now I have to start pessaries three times a day. The instructions say to lie down for 30 minutes after insertion – are they for real? Who on earth can manage that, days and weeks on end?
Luckily (I think?) they provide the happy alternative of rectal insertion. Nothing I like better than sticking medicine upper my butt thrice daily! Although if I’m honest, I did them that way with our IVF cycle too (who can lie flat for 30 minutes every day at work?) and I actually found it preferable. Not the insertion itself, but the revolting discharge wasn’t a thing that way.
Also – holy shit I may already be a week pregnant! Schrödinger must love this shit.
Have you had to make the day 3 vs day 5 decision? Which way did you go?